QLD Australian Consumer Law - How Long Until Re-Advertisement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Trevor Smith

8 January 2017
I recently sold a car. We agreed on the price of $3800. Deposit ($400) was paid and balance $3400 was to be paid after the roadworthy cert is acquired. This was done and communicated to the purchaser.

I have now sent 4 texts and left 2 phone messages over the last 9 days asking when the purchaser was going to pick up and pay balance.

I haven't received any replies? How long do I have to wait before re-advertising under Australian Consumer Law? What happens to the deposit?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
The law would generally require that you wait for a period of time that is "reasonable" in all the circumstances. If they fail to respond within a reasonable time, then you can keep the deposit, on the basis that they have repudiated the contract.

Trevor Smith

8 January 2017
The law would generally require that you wait for a period of time that is "reasonable" in all the circumstances. If they fail to respond within a reasonable time, then you can keep the deposit, on the basis that they have repudiated the contract.
Thank you.