VIC Australian Consumer Law - Charges for Car Hire

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dianne Horvath

9 November 2015
I received a car hire when my car was being repaired after an incident.

As requested, I returned the car hire to where I was collecting my car, at the repairers.
The following day, a Sunday, (yesterday) I receive a bank alert stating charges to the effect of $1600.00 from a car hire company. It took me a while to get onto someone who stated that the contract of the loan agreement was so! I do understand this to be true, however; 1. I did not cause or note ANY damage but 2. Other than 1 attempt to call me, I was not made aware of the damages or charges.

S

Sophea

Did you fill out a condition report on the vehicle at the time that you collected it?

Dianne Horvath

9 November 2015
Did you fill out a condition report on the vehicle at the time that you collected it?

No. We had a storm that day. It was terrible and the winds in the rain were just bombarding us, and the cars were not undercover so we collected the key and went straight into the car. Of course, now I see the problem with this.

S

Sophea

Generally it's difficult to prove anything if you didn't fill out one of these condition reports. If it is obvious damage, would you have any photographs of the vehicle that would prove that the damage was already there when you collected the vehicle or that it was done subsequently to your dropping it off?

In the absence of any proof, it is their word against yours, unfortunately. You can however still try to write them a strongly worded letter indicating why the condition report was not filled out (the storm issue) and perhaps provide a stat dec stating that the damage was not caused while the vehicle was in your care.

Do you now what damage they are alleging?