VIC Australian Consumer Law - Can Dental Practice Change Charges?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nick Chuah

29 May 2018
Hi,

Two weeks ago, I took my daughter for a Bupa Dental for dental check up. After paying for her checkup, the dentist suggested that she needs braces. So the receptionist took my Bupa Health insurance card, swiped it and checked to confirm there is no out of pocket for the Xrays and analysis.

On that basis, I agreed to let them book my daughter for the Xrays scan. On the day of the scan, after the scan was done, they "discovered" that I have to pay $365 out of pocket because they claimed that the limit is reached on my claim.

She explained that the receptionist made an error. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the quote with me any longer, so can't prove my case. I feel this is an unfair practice by the dental practice to deceive customers into services by quoting them a free service but charging them on the day. This is the Bupa Dental Camberwell.

Do I have any recourse in this matter? Does the Australian Consumer law protect consumers where the supplier can change their charges after the quote is agreed on?

Please help. Thanks!

Clancy

6 April 2016
I do not know about the legal technicality, but what in a situation where a person does not have any money left to spare, and these people say its free, so that person goes ahead on that basis, and now the dentist suddenly want to charge them, is that fair or reasonable? No!