NSW ATO fine/penalties and police checks

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Roran7637

7 September 2021
Hi Everyone,

So I haven’t lodged my tax return for many years as my income was always below the tax threshold. And even if I do, I will only owe ATO a small amount. I plan to submit my tax returns and/or non-lodgement advice right now. If I receive a fine/penalty for this from ATO for reporting late or for owing then a certain amount, will this show up in my police check if I were to apply for jobs? Extremely worried… Thanks

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
How many years, and what is your proof of income?

Roran7637

7 September 2021
SD see
How many years, and what is your proof of income?
Roughly 10 years? My only source of payment was from a Centrelink payment that is taxable. Have never worked. To be honest, I never knew that we were supposed to submit one despite not working…

Last edited:

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Firstly, take a breath. You're not exactly a master criminal...

I suggest making a call to the ATO (even anonymously, to start) and asking what to do.
You may find that, as a Centrelink client, they will be less interested in taking formalised enforcement action.
It will also be a question of how much you actually owe (if anything).

131142, during business hours. Be prepared for a loooooong wait.

PosComs

25 March 2021
Perth, WA
Also log into mygov you can link the ATO and submit the ones that are showing and see if they've sent you any correspondence?