Assistance Animal Laws

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Louise429

30 December 2020
For future reference, are there any laws against interfering with assistance animals (for example, distracting a working assistance animal) for Australia or New South Wales? I have tried searching online but can only find American laws.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Why do you ask?

Louise429

30 December 2020
Because I am currently training an assistance dog and want to know if there are ways I can stop people from petting, distracting and interfering with the dog's work and training (this has already happened multiple times so I want to know if I can take any action against the people who interfere with my dog)
Why do you ask?

Docupedia

7 October 2020
None that I can find. That doesn’t mean that common law action couldn’t potentially be taken, but it would be a harder prospect.

Atticus

6 February 2019
I am currently training an assistance dog and want to know if there are ways I can stop people from petting, distracting and interfering with the dog's work and training
Have you tried using a badge or sign similar to those pictured HERE

Could have a similar one made up if they are not available to purchase.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Because I am currently training an assistance dog...
If you're training it yourself (not as part of a program by an accredited provider)
then it makes no difference.
In a DIY scenario, your animal is a companion animal.
It's not a service animal, in the way, say, that a Guide Dog is.