VIC Asking Magistrates Court Hearings Papers?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

457Visafraud

16 April 2017
Can anyone tell me if I have the right to ask for Magistrates court proceedings, summons and subpoena records copies?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
About whom?
And for what purpose?

457Visafraud

16 April 2017
About whom?
And for what purpose?
I don't understand the meaning of your questions but it's about me the defendant, the court proceeds made in relation to the hearing and the purpose is to keep records and the need of the papers in the near future.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Maybe ring the court registry and ask?
There may be fees payable, depending on what you want.

Lennon

11 September 2014
Too many factors here. Were the proceedings civil, criminal, family law or something else (Magistrates Courts deal with all sorts of different matters which would affect the responses)?

Are you after a copy of the actual summons/subpoenas, or the documents that were produced in response to the summons/subpoenas? If you were a party to the proceedings, why don't you already have a copy of those documents?

457Visafraud

16 April 2017
why don't you already have a copy of those documents?
Good question and thanks for asking.

I got the paper regarding a final order made in my absence and what I want to know is what happened at the first hearing (I was not there) when the "applicant" made false complaints against me and what questions the Magistrate made in order to accept the complain.

Lennon

11 September 2014
So you're looking for a transcript, not a copy of summons/subpoenaed documents?

I still can't answer your question without knowing what kind of proceedings these were.