NSW Are charged shoplifters legally required to return stolen goods to a store?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Brandon

5 February 2018
Just out of curiosity, I own a business and have recently dealt with a shoplifting case with the police. The individual was charged a criminal infringement fine of $300 however, was not required to compensate us financially or return the goods. Was just wondering if this was legal or not as it does not seem to be.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Getting financial compensation would require you to file a civil claim for damages, but you need legal advice on how to go about this.

Returning the goods, however, should be a matter of contacting the police. Once evidence has served its purpose, there's no reason it can't be returned to the owner.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If police did not recover the items, then you sue the person in court for the cost + damages. A demand letter would be the first step down this path.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I also understand an order for restitution can be made in some (all?) jurisdictions - sorry, not really my area. Perhaps asking the prosecutor to raise it with the court may be the way to go.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes, thought of that but sounds like the matter is past that stage as a fine has already been imposed.