WA Are bank transfers a breach of a VRO in Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sammy01

27 September 2015
more detail required. Has the other party requested the transfer? is it in writing? Are you giving them money or taking money away from a joint account?

Jamie27

9 April 2020
I'm with Sammy here. Pay the mechanic direct. So many things can be twisted into a "breach" when it suits. You'd be stunned at how marginal, and yes the police follow them all the way through. I wouldn't take the risk.

Why are you paying for their car to be repaired? Don't let yourself be taken for a ride thinking you're earning brownie points that will come in handy down the track. Been there, done that.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Pay the mechanic direct. You can contact the mechanic without breaching the order.
Be sure to send a copy of the receipt to the other person's lawyer.
Do not send it to them directly - it will somehow magically get lost in the post.

---> And, if relevant, do not forget to count this as a Third Party Child Support payment

sammy01

27 September 2015
Hey Tim. i think it will only count as Third Party Child Support payments if the ex will agree. She won't.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Well, yes.
I am suggesting using this payment as evidence of the suitability of the TPP format in any future application.
TPPs can be a product of order.

Atticus

6 February 2019
The other party has requested money to pay for car repairs. I'm giving them money.
I agree that you should pay the mechanic directly if for no other reason then to know the precise amount being billed & that it's been received..

As far as breaching a VRO, I would have thought that is more likley to have occurred through your communications regarding the repairs.... I'm assuming you are the respondent to the VRO in this case? Just be mindful that ANY contact contrary to the conditions of the VRO are a breach, even responding to a communication instigated by the protected party.