NSW Any Way to Terminate Contract with Vodafone?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
15 October 2016
Hi.

I am a student in University. I have a Vodafone sim with one year lock in contract. Last month and this month, due to some system bug, I was charged a lot on my vodafone post paid plan (my plan is 50$ plan with 1300 international mins and 12 gb data).

Two enquiries were raised: one, on my Sept bill and one for my October bill. The October bill is yet to be produced, but Vodafoae claimed that I used 1300 mins in two days, which I didn't. They have reimbursed me for last month and this month's excess charges have been wayed off...

Is there anyway I can get out of this contract under Australian Consumer Law? I'm really annoyed with Vodafone.​

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
There is a line of reasoning that says the service they provide has to be suitable for its purpose. If they have bugs in their system that potentially leave you facing large bills you didn't incur you arguably have a right to say that under the ACL the service is not fit for purpose.

I cannot say one way or other if the error you claim exists, does in fact exist. That is something you need to prove if they refuse to release you from the contract. Not sure if you purchased a mobile from them on a payment plan, and if you did you may need to pay the full retail price of the handset upfront or possibly return the handset to Vodafone.

15 October 2016
No mobile phone purchased... And the phone bills they sent are a proof of it. The calls I made to the customer service they are recorded too by them.

I have even manually added up my entire months' call time... It definitely did not sum up to the amount they charged.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Call Vodafone and say you want out and see what they say.