VIC Any Recourse for Any False Statements Made Online?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Marena

11 August 2016
I have recently received information regarding a post written on the Internet that made false statements about the nature of mine and my sister's relationship with a deceased family member. These statements are untrue and extremely distressing.

The post was discovered by a mutual friend and the author of the post has made little attempt to hide their identity, and little attempt to hide mine and that of other family member they have effectively libelled.

Do I have any recourse?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Depending on the nature of the comments you may have a cause of action in defamation.

Keep in mind that hurt feelings do not count in a defamation case and the material being complained of must be disparaging in the eyes of the ordinary reasonable person (ie not you). If you do want to pursue the action then it is best to see a lawyer.

Marena

11 August 2016
Thanks Rod. The comments falsely stated an estrangement in the family which was just not true. They were made by an aggrieved person who thought they would support a case she was trying to make in support of, you guessed it - gaining money!