NSW Answering Outstanding Debt Question in 485 Visa Application?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

lalachor

28 January 2017
Hey guys,

It would be great if you can help me with this. I had an over speeding ( 10 km/hr) ticket last year. It became overdue and was recovered eventually from my bank account (garnishee order) as " transfer out NSW state debt" of $X since I was unable to make payment in time.

My question is do we have to include this kind of debt while answering, "has any applicant ever had any outstanding debt to the Australian government or any public authority in Australia?" for a 485 visa application?

Thanks in advance!

Regards.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

If you are being honest I would say yes. Have you ever had any outstanding debt to the Australian Government or public authority in Australia? Yes.

I think you really want to know if you say no, will they find out?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Your answer could be "No, but, I do have this one that I have already paid".
I agree with @Lance - you should not conceal anything.

lalachor

28 January 2017
Thanks a lot @Lance & @Tim W for your valuable input. I really appreciate it. But I'm still confused because by definition 'Outstanding debt' means any 'unpaid portion of the debt'.

So let's say if a person had some outstanding debt in 2015, it means that he had unpaid portion of that particular debt that he did not pay but what if he had already paid that outstanding debt in 2015? Now the important question is, did he still have outstanding debt in 2015? I would really appreciate if somebody can answer that?

Thanks once again.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Stop with the petty language games and disclose everything.

Lance

31 October 2015
I would be glad if somebody could answer my query? Thanks!
Hi Lalachor,

You said " by definition 'Outstanding debt' means any 'unpaid portion of the debt', I couldn't agree more with your definition, but don't over look the "has any applicant ever".

This portion of the statement / question means it's across all time. It's a simple question. don't over complicate it. You either tell the truth or don't. Your call.