Anonymous crime stoppers tip

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

crabs

20 May 2021
Hello. I reported an anonymous online tip to crime stoppers recently for someone masturbating in their car in a children's park in the car park and looking back on it now I believe I misinterpreted the situation.
Will this possibly innocent person get investigated now or will I be in trouble?

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
You haven't really provided enough detail for any reliable answer to be given IMO. Also, this isn't a family law issue. For what it's worth (if you're actually serious), it's difficult to say whether it'll be investigated. That would come down to whether you were able to identify the person, and whether the police find the story credible enough to take further. If it's an anonymous tip, I'm guessing you would have needed to provide enough evidence of the crime for the police to pursue without the need to contact you for more information/witness statement. If they don't feel the information you've provided is sufficient to prosecute, it'll likely go into the 'unsolved mysteries' file.

If you genuinely think you've made a mistake, you should probably say so. A genuine misinterpretation isn't a crime, and I very much doubt the police would pursue anything against you.