VIC AMPOL Service Station Negligence Claim?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jaffasoft

5 December 2016
I put AdBlue in my Motorhome and blew the engine causing 6-7k in damages.

I've driven into a local AMPOL Service Station and put 6 litres of AdBlue in my diesel coaster motorhome. I was unsure what the fuel was, I walked in and asked the service station attendant what it was..., "could I have more information about the fuel type or information about the product you're selling", I was hoping for a pamphlet on the desk or some written information about it. I was told to search online, which I thought was quite rude, I rem getting very annoyed by this and walked out, being in a normal rush I just scuffed this off and had to get the vehicle out of the station so I drove off knowing no different. 14 kilometres later the entire motor blew up. The repair costs are looking at 6-7k and it's basically just ruined my life in what I live in. Having to walk in the rain in winter for groceries etc and 6 weeks waiting for a mechanic so far.

If I had just driven in and put this substance in and drove away fine I guess I have to cop this on the chin as my fault. But because I took the time out to ask the service station attendant for information on what this fuel is, I feel they are negligent in NOT telling me that it is actually synthetic urea and water. There is NO way I would have driven the vehicle and or even put this stuff in the tank if I had known that it was water. This is a relatively new service station in town and there are no warning signs on the browser or anywhere else that this will ruin your engine. It is not even fuel. It's right next to the other bowser pump and looks like any other diesel.

This goes deeper, previously I had heard that they were a "different" diesel that I could use to stop a leak in diesel fuel pumps since mine developed a small leak. Apparently, the different fuel has an additive in it and causes rubber gaskets inside the pump to swell and stops leaks in some cases so I wanted to try it. I had gone in and had a conversation with the service station attendant weeks before and asked them about this, I was told yes indeed they had a diesel that has the addative for that. I still wasn't sure where but I saw this AdBlue the next time and it was a little more expensive and I thought this is what it was.

Also another time I had broken down 12 months earlier and I rang this same service station and asked if only diesel was sold in the trucky lane, I was told that yes only diesel is sold in that line. As I thought I may have just put petrol in by mistake on that day as my vehicle had stopped by chance just after I fulled up. Turned out it was a battery terminal connection and not related.

I've had a number of conversations with the service station about this as it's been a big deal in my life and submitted a formal complaint in writing on the day it happened. The guy said if I had asked beforehand about the AdBlue they could claim it on Insurance. Why would it be any different if i asked after or before and actually, i did both. In both cases, if i had been told or given any information about their product I wouldn't have put the dam stuff in the first place and or driven the vehicle further after it went in as that would have saved it too. Once it's pumped into the diesel pump that it ruins everything.

On the browser, it simply says 'DIESEL EXHAUST FUEL'. I read diesel and just used it without even giving a second thought.

Will I have a case if I pursue this? I feel that the service station is negligent in NOT providing information about the product! Especially if it can and will completely ruin diesel motors if used. This should be something they are well aware of and can inform the public as care of duty. Not only that, a simple warning sign and pamphlet on the desk explaining what is in the product they are selling should be provided. If we buy food from a supermarket we have to know what ingredients are in them!

Thank you,
Jaffa

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Will I have a case if I pursue this?
Going by what you've said here,
I don't see how a customer who,
by choice, and without thinking,
put something in their vehicle
without being reasonably sure what it was
could have any reasonable prospects of success, no.