Am I Still Qualified to Get a Resident Return Visa?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

liamf

25 April 2018
I have married an Aussie Citizen back 1997. Our relationship is on and off but we are together in one roof. I stayed in Australia up until 2004. I can't get along with my ex-wife, got divorced at 2007. I have a 20-year-old daughter ( Natural born Aussie Citizen) who lives with her mum.

Question is, how likely will I be granted a resident return visa? If in the future I decide to go back and settle?

Thanks in advance.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Your best bet is to contact an immigration lawyer, and secondly, the law changes so it will depend on when you apply. The change of law may affect your application.

Qs?

18 May 2018
Resident Return visa (subclasses 155 and 157)

Presuming you are still classed a Permanent Resident

The RRV calculation is based on time spent in Australia - should be at least 2 years in last 5.

If you don’t meet this, your application would have to show some evidence of your ties to Australia. Balance of family etc., circumstances surrounding the long absence.

If you’re outside of Australia and have been for more than 10 years you may need to reapply under a different perm res visa stream.

Eg. Last remaining relative, parent visa etc.

liamf

25 April 2018
I was able to meet the 2 year stay in Australia, in fact I applied for Citizenship already, however I was already outside Australia when the invite for citizenship oath taking have arrived and since then I wasnt able to comeback to Australia since year 2004.