VIC Am I Obliged to Give a Breeding Certificate?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

flyfloss

12 February 2017
I have a horse breeding stud with a resident stallion who is a rare colour. I made an agreement via email (unfortunately no contract was signed) with a friend of 40 years for her to Artificially Inseminate her "Bay Mare".

My so called friend used a Taffy mare instead without telling me and this mare is my stallion's half sister. This mare & my stallion's father recently died & was a much sought after stallion making my stallion more sought after. I did not even know that she had bought this Taffy mare. I suspect that she was deliberately keeping the purchase of this mare a secret from me. I also suspect she is trying to get the same rare colour with enhanced breeding lines due to the "line breeding". She may end up with a rare silver black colt with more enhanced breeding lines than my stallion due to the line breeding which could ruin my business.

For her to register her foal, she needs a breeding certificate from me. Without a breeding certificate, her foal will be worthless. As there was no contract, I believe I don't have to give her a breeding certificate.

I have asked the relevant society if I am obliged to give her a certificate and am awaiting their response. I have also tried to come to an agreement with her by offering her money back or a free service to a mare not related to my stallion to which she has refused.

I am wondering what your thoughts are under Australian Law.

Your response will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

S

Sophea

I don't believe it's law that you must provide a breeding certificate with all artificial insemination, this would normally be something that you would include a term about in a written contract. She may have a very weak argument on the basis that its standard industry practice that a certificate is always provided or that there was a course of dealing between you which dictated that a breeding certificate was always provided.

However generally I don't think she can do much if you refuse. (I am not experienced in this area of law by the way, I'm just applying commercial legal principles).

Check out this fact sheet by the ASHS - it suggests that it is best to include agreements regarding breeding certificates in written contracts. http://www.ashs.com.au/downloads/Rules_Regs/2016/Part_3-Registration_2.pdf