NSW Am I Liable to Pay Ex Anything After Divorce?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Terry123

1 February 2017
I asked for a sepration from my ex, which hurt her ego and I was framed by my ex for domestic violence and after the second hearing the judge threw the case out of court and I won. Which hurt my ex's ego again.

Then she started pressuring me for divorce, which was granted by family court as I wanted to get out as well after 3 or 4 failed attempt for a reconciliation.

We got seprated in May and in Aug, my ex got married to a guy, who was supposedly her cousin whom I had never met from overseas and she left for Canada.

I left Australia and moved to the UK. Now. The place where I was living in, my owner told me that somebody came asking for me with my last name, which fortunately I share with the owner. And he saw document that my ex has claimed some 100, 000 roughly. He didn't know for what in that quick second. He managed to see two things, my ex's name and the claimed amount.

My question is:

Am I liable to pay anything to her? We didn't have any savings nor any house and we don't have kids. I don't have any asset on me to date. My worth would be 200 odd dollars.

And secondly as I am not in thr country. Will this affect my history or anything?

I am an Australian citizen.

Thanks

MartyK

4 June 2016
How long was the marriage? Were there any assets of the marriage that have since been transferred, post separation, to another person?

e.g the house that you were living together in (?) with the current owner coincidently sharing the same name to you?

Terry123

1 February 2017
The marriage was for 4 years total in and out from which she took a year out to think about it and after coming back in 3 months time everything happened...

No assets. No house together or single. I don't have any personal asset either. And the saving was split before splitting and no saving after that as whatever was there I had to give it to the lawyers.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Are the papers just a demand letter or court issued papers? If court, what country was used to file the papers you received?

Hayder Shkara

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 January 2017
Sydney, NSW
www.neatlaw.com.au
Terry - very hard to make a call without you even knowing what the papers were. They could be anything so I'm not going to throw out what I think they may be.

If you do not have any assets, and the duration of the relationship was quite short, I don't really know what it is for.

You can still be served whilst outside of the country. You can't just ignore the matter because you are overseas.

Terry123

1 February 2017
Thanks guys

Rod, the papers are not served yet as I am overseas and the things are happening in Australia..

Hayder

Thanks for reply. As I am just concerned on something the owner told me. As my ex is now married and is also in Canada. I am not sure whether she could claim anything. Also her income was more than mine and probably savings as well. We had no property and no other assets together or single.

Is there any way I can check if there is any case opened on my name as I am overseas or how can I get to those papers as I don't have any contact with my ex?

Even my divorce papers, I had asked from court online. I was hoping if there is any portal where I can check that?

MartyK

4 June 2016
Perhaps you might like to get in touch with the person who informed you of the documents and ask them which Court they have been filed in first? Even if they could scan and email you a copy, or fax them to you?

Terry123

1 February 2017
Thanks marty

The guy told me as he read my name he confirmed to the delivery person that i dnt live there anymore and the other guy took the paper back.. so prolly the home owner dnt know much more than the amount and my ex name and now i am struggling to find if anything is in court or not.on the other hand does it matter until i am served any papers or not.

1. Should I be worried about it as nothing has been known to me yet.

2. Is there any system by the court where a person can check if any case hearing or any sort of legal thing is open against him?