QLD Am I Liable for Half the Costs of Retaining Wall?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
24 January 2017
My neighbour has come to me to say the retaining wall is looking a bit dodgy and wants to get it fixed.

So question is, am I liable for half the cost? And second, can he force me to get it fixed now as I have just moved in and after other repairs don't have spare cash for this?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Alisdair,
Looking dodgy doesn't necessarily mean it's unsafe or not fit for purpose so it would depend on the true condition. Generally its a shared cost for a downed or damaged boundary fence, but if its still standing it could be argued it isn't necessary as long as its safe. Personally I would speak to your neighbour much the same way as you have posted. Tell them that you are strapped for spare cash after the move. If your neighbour is a reasonable person I'm sure they will understand. Moving costs are a significant hit to the hip pocket, it would be unreasonable for anyone to not accept that.

24 January 2017
Thanks for that.
You mentioned a boundary fence it's actually the retaining wall at there side when they cut in to level the block. Is that still a shared cost?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The property owner that alters the land contour is responsible for the retaining wall. Proving who altered the land can sometimes be difficult. You might need to find old council records.