VIC Am I allowed to get advice from acquaintainces through ex partner while I have an AVO against me

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

PlanCertainty

2 January 2020
I am going through a break up of a 5 year de facto relationship. My ex partner has 3 large business and has influences all over Melbourne. In the 5 years we jointly bought 3 properties. He convinced me to 2nd mortgage a property that I had before I met him. I had 2 properties before I met him and ran a business from home. At the end of the 5 year relationship he has offered me $38,000 as a payout for over $2million of property. How he has done it. Having a huge influence in the building industry as a Building Surveyor he has given huge building costs to offset the Mortgage. He also has a partnership in a building company and during building was told that as a Director he was getting things for free or cost. I also heard a conversation with his building partner while I was in the car, saying that building cost had reached $70,000 and that the partner was willing to write it off. Being a Building Surveyor he also has a VERY cosy relationship with builders, and developers so trade cost was put to only paying for the product a lot of the times. Now because he was in charge of the building I left things up to him and kept busy working, and looking after him and family. He has always been a very controlling person and suffers abandonment issues. If I ever questioned him he would scream at me saying don't you trust me. He can be a very vindictive man if you don't follow his rule. And I am afraid of my safety. I have been staying at my son's place and many advanced plants that I planted (I believe were poisoned) as they died soon after we broke up. I replaced the dead bamboo with new plants and yes they died too. Things have gone missing from the unit I am staying in Air conditioners that were working are no longer working and the remotes have gone missing. My property in Oakleigh just recently had a huge rock thrown through a window about the same time my car had a huge crack in the windscreen. Also brand new air conditioning in my unit in Oakleigh that I just leased out, is also not working. I now hide my medications.

He can easily make $200,000 with the development of one of the properties but he will fight to every last cent to make sure I dont get what I am entitled. All this because I was being bullied by his daughters that moved in with us in our new home. And I decided to live at my son's place till we get counselling and try and resolve issues. After that things went South because how dare I leave.

Dont know what to do. I have an AVO on me and he provicated me by creating financial abuse where I lost my temper and then he put criminal charges on me. I have finished that process with admitting to everything and getting $100 court fee and wrote a letter of gratitude and have to do counselling, that hey I need now. No justice in the justice system. And hey victims get the counselling and the criminals that are the cause of it all get away. Seen it time and time again with relationships where the innocent goes on Depression medication just to stay and survive an abusive relationship with a heinous partner.

Tremaine

5 February 2019
Sorry, just to clarify, you think your ex-partner is responsible for dead plants and missing air-con remotes?

Did I read that correctly?

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
Yeah I'm struggling to follow and to understand the main thrust of your question. The AVO/IVO isn't a criminal charge by the way. But yes, you're right though, there often is no justice in the justice system. IVOs seem to simply ramp up the tension between people in many (but not all obviously) cases where they could be de-escalated in other less damaging ways. They should be a last resort, but seem to be used as a first resort to gain advantage in a separation.

Having said that though, if you don't have any children together and the IVO has no effect on either parent's access to them, then it may not have changed things significantly anyway, unless he does actually want to get back together with you (you said you are getting counselling to 'resolve issues'). You could take out an IVO on him as well, although it would likely not achieve much, except to perhaps criminalise his behaviour further if you were able to catch him doing any of the things you suspect of him.

Most of the rest of what you've said is probably just going to end up being 'noise' as far as any settlement is concerned though. Yes he may be vindictive, yes he may have convinced you to re-mortgage a property etc but they are still decisions you made together and you can't (easily) say after the fact that it was coerced or that he screwed you somehow.