QLD Alienated from Children - What to Do Under Family Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Maggie698

17 January 2017
My ex-husband and my estranged mother have teamed up together and turned my adult children against me. I have no communication with my 2 eldest sons aged 24 and 22, who live with my parents but have little contact with my daughter who is 17.

They have cut me off completely, and to this day, only know that they were told by my mother and ex-husband that they are the victims and its a 'he said, she said' issue, telling them I'm nasty, I hate them, I wish they were dead, I wish they were never born, etc, etc.

I'm also a victim of domestic abuse. My ex did say to me once upon a time that because I divorced him, he said "watch out for the consequences". What can I do under family law?

Please help me. I'm losing my mind and so heartbroken. My kids are my world

Reactions: Parallel

Hayder Shkara

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 January 2017
Sydney, NSW
www.neatlaw.com.au
Hi Maggie,

I'm sorry for the situation you are in. You are in a very tough situation that the law can do very little about. The Courts can't enforce any rulings on adult children to communicate with their parents. Your 17 year old is also probably too old to have the court enforce orders for her to see her mother. She could easily just refuse and state reasons why she doesn't want to have any contact.

You should try and reach out to each child individually slowly and patiently. They may have been fed a lot of untrue information, but they need to feel comfortable around you before you can tell them otherwise.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Sadly, I agree with the above. The Court can't intervene for the two older children because they are over the age of 18, and the youngest is likely to turn 18 before the matter can be resolved by the Court anyway.