SA AHPRA Registration - Disclose Assault Charges?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

matin

27 March 2018
Hello everyone

Eight years ago, I was charged with indecent assault in South Australia. These charges were dismissed, and the trail did not go till the end, and no finding or admission of guilt was given.

Now I am studying the allied health course at uni. I am in the second years of uni now. Recently someone told me that the AHPRA would have a look at your background and they might consider this none conviction as well during their assessment.

I am so worried now about what will happen to my degree and I paid so much money for this degree. I spent my two years in this degree.

Help me, what should I do?

I appreciate if you could answer me.

Thank you

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Reactions: matin

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
On the disclosure scale, non-disclosure rates higher (ie worse) than many proven offences.

Why? Non-disclosure goes to trust issues such as deceit and dishonesty. A medical professional who is not trustworthy fails one of the most basic responsibilities that exist between the professional and the patient.

This would mean that on top of the original offence, AHPRA now have to work out if deceit and dishonesty will affect your ability to be a professional.

If you want peace of mind, ring AHPRA and see if you can make a preliminary disclosure to see if the offence is likely to be a barrier to practicing in your chosen profession. The legal profession has a similar requirement and allows a pre-assessment.

Reactions: matin

matin

27 March 2018
dear Tim W,

I called last week the magistrate court, and they said to me that your case was dismissed and the trail did not go until the end. I requested the full information from the court about the case and judge decision, and they will forward me in a couple of weeks.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
If it was dismissed, then it's over.
If it was withdrawn, then the prosecution can come back another day.