WA Criminal Law - Can I Have Charges on Partner Dropped?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Not your decision to make. Police need to make the determination. You can refuse to participate as a witness and ask the court to be excused. That may help them change their minds.

Trying68

29 March 2017
Tamworth
Not your decision to make. Police need to make the determination. You can refuse to participate as a witness and ask the court to be excused. That may help them change their minds.
Don't mean to rude but I hope you get a cop that would have the guts to determine the right decsion for you. They normally don't have guts to say they may have been wrong

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
My post was about WHO makes the decision. I am saying the victim or witness do not make the decision. It is either the police or DPP.

This is different as to whether they will make the decision. Police are like any other workforce, you get some good ones, you get some bad ones. Trouble is after dealing with people who are less than honest most of the time, even the good ones begin to lose their ability to distinguish between mistakes that should be punished, and the mistakes that should receive a warning.

Lucie miller

4 April 2017
What if the partner who has the charges against them is sorry and going to counselling ? Does it still mean jail time for them for a first breach of a court protection order ?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Those things help, but it is up to the judge you get on the day and the circumstances and nature of the offence. The partner should do those things anyway as they appear not to understand the consequences of their actions.

Trying68

29 March 2017
Tamworth
My post was about WHO makes the decision. I am saying the victim or witness do not make the decision. It is either the police or DPP.

This is different as to whether they will make the decision. Police are like any other workforce, you get some good ones, you get some bad ones. Trouble is after dealing with people who are less than honest most of the time, even the good ones begin to lose their ability to distinguish between mistakes that should be punished, and the mistakes that should receive a warning.
In any other work force if you have trouble making the right decision maybe you should look at another line of work or seek counciling .