NSW Advise for preparing for court without help.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MummyOf2

18 September 2015
I had mediation today to try negotiating for new consent orders that would allow me to relocate. I have been waiting since February for mediation to happen but in the meantime I had been trying to have a reasonable discussion with my ex in order to come to some sort of agreement that we could work with once we got to mediation. So far he had refused to negotiate,and then he had agreed that my reasons for wanting to move were fair and said he would negotiate and then stopped communicating about it altogether. Ok, fair enough. I decided to just wait for mediation to have a reasonable discussion. Today, my ex not only refused to get on the phone and talk to me forcing the mediator to have to keep calling back and forth but then my ex basically refused to have a discussion at all. I can't discuss what was said during the conference call but basically I was denied the option of being able to move. I'm ok with that, but I would have liked to be able to raise some of the issues we have had that have affected our ability to co-parent peacefully.
I'm taking the matter to court. Ive been told I have a good chance of getting legal aid because I've done everything in my power to make things work in my ex's benefit if I did move. I'm getting the s60i certificate and my lawyer is applying for legal aid for me immediately. We are also applying for a costs order on legal aids behalf if I do get a legal aid grant. I don't know how my ex will react if the costs order is granted. How often do costs orders actually get granted?
In regards to our situation and what changes I'm asking for:
I originally lived in location A, my ex also lived in location A. He moved two hours away to location B. He never really bothered to have a relationship with our son. So when I said I was thinking about moving a little closer he asked if I would move to location B too. I agreed for my son's sake. As soon as I moved to location B his wife withheld my son from me and I went to court for relocation orders. I got final orders June last year. My mental health suffered severely from the trauma of losing my son for so long and so suddenly and ended up seeing a psychologist. My ex and his wife have been making life hell for us in our new location, publicly denigrating us, forcing the owner of the take away downstairs to complain about them doing it in front of their customers and also denigrating me to my son's school. They also keep interfering in my day to day life and decision making even though it's over simple things like rash cream or school excursions for example, and they send me insulting and nasty messages. Because I have no family, friends or contacts for support here I told him that we would be better off moving back to location A where I could have a better support network to help raise my kids. I also have a husband who I share a child with in location A that I would like to make things work with and who also wants to see his son. My ex agreed with my reasons for wanting to move. At the moment my ex has two hours after school on Tuesday, every second weekend, half holidays and overnight on special occassions. He also does all the travelling. I told him I would do all the travelling, incurring the costs of that myself. I told him he would keep every second weekend. He would keep half of all school holidays but with the holidays following term three I said he could have the full two weeks so they could take my son away with them when they do their annual trip. I also told him that for special occassions he could have the full weekend instead of just an overnight stay. I asked for every second Christmas and Easter. I also offered more phone and Skype time.
I'm planning on doing all the paperwork myself, utilising the duty solicitor as much as possible to reduce costs. I am choosing to be represented, I can't self represent as I loose my nerve too easily. What advice could I get that would help me deal with someone who is rude to me and refuses to co-operate, in order to make going to court a little smoother. I feel like I have a fight on my hands. I feel like it's become a power struggle for my ex with his wife fueling the flames.
What kinds of things should I put into my affidavit and what kinds of things should I leave out? I have so much evidence against my ex but if I used even a fraction of them as annexures my affidavit would end up massively long.
I mentioned to my lawyer that I was thinking about sitting in on a couple of court cases to get the feel of the judge we will get, but she said that there's a group that do this so often at this courthouse that the court staff have started noticing when people do it and it may not be such a good idea. From experience, what has anyone learned from their own cases involving their children that would help me understand what the judge is likely to be looking for from me and the kinds of questions that may be asked?
Sorry this is a long one.

Lennon

11 September 2014
I'm taking the matter to court. Ive been told I have a good chance of getting legal aid because I've done everything in my power to make things work in my ex's benefit if I did move. I'm getting the s60i certificate and my lawyer is applying for legal aid for me immediately. We are also applying for a costs order on legal aids behalf if I do get a legal aid grant. I don't know how my ex will react if the costs order is granted. How often do costs orders actually get granted?

A costs order wouldn't be granted until the conclusion of the proceedings, so you won't need to worry about how your ex will react if an order is made for a long time yet.

Costs orders are very rare in parenting proceedings.

I'm planning on doing all the paperwork myself, utilising the duty solicitor as much as possible to reduce costs. I am choosing to be represented, I can't self represent as I loose my nerve too easily. What advice could I get that would help me deal with someone who is rude to me and refuses to co-operate, in order to make going to court a little smoother. I feel like I have a fight on my hands. I feel like it's become a power struggle for my ex with his wife fueling the flames.

My first piece of advice would be to stop blaming your ex's wife or assuming that she is influencing your ex's behaviour. Their relationship is really none of your business and your speculation about such things is unhelpful. My ex came to all sorts of conclusions about my wife and she was wrong 100% of the time.

What kinds of things should I put into my affidavit and what kinds of things should I leave out? I have so much evidence against my ex but if I used even a fraction of them as annexures my affidavit would end up massively long.

This case is about you wanting to move, not you proving something about your ex, isn't it? So why would the affidavit be full of evidence about your ex instead of evidence about you and the kids?

I mentioned to my lawyer that I was thinking about sitting in on a couple of court cases to get the feel of the judge we will get, but she said that there's a group that do this so often at this courthouse that the court staff have started noticing when people do it and it may not be such a good idea. From experience, what has anyone learned from their own cases involving their children that would help me understand what the judge is likely to be looking for from me and the kinds of questions that may be asked?

I can't see anything wrong with sitting in on a few cases, I think it's a good idea.

Reactions: nat 2015

MummyOf2

18 September 2015
Thank you for your response.
My ex's wife was the one who started everything that happened. My ex actually tried to reason with my husband when we served him and told my husband he did not know she had done it because he was at work at the time my son was not returned to me as usual. Since then it's been his wife showing up at my house being vocal and also making life hard for my son's school showing up there constantly or ringing them and being aggressive when trying to discuss me with them, when they have asked her to stop interfering. It's been making life very hard. I have video footage from outside my house of her bringing her whole family and surrounding my house. It was terrifying. I don't know how to handle this situation as she is very likely to get vocal again when we serve the initiating application. She was very hostile about me getting my son back last year as well.

The evidence I have is emails and text messages from both him and his wife swearing at me, interfering in my day to day life, interfering at school etc. Which is part of the reason I think living so close to each other is a bad idea. What I don't know is if I include all the communication from the past year or leave stuff out.
I really would like to sit in on one or two court cases. My ex and his wife terrify me and I think getting a proper feel of a court room would help me prepare myself against whatever they attempt to throw at me.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Get a intervention order against his new wife if she is harassing you. That might stop some of the nonsense.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Why not leave the kid with dad...
Sorry. But I'm struggling here. You have re-partnered? have a kid with your partner? where does that kid live? With you? So when does that kid see his dad?

You left your husband, to go be closer to your ex hubby?

Kids need stability... You have taken the kid away from one place to go to another. You didn't have to and in doing so you removed one child from their dad... Now you have changed your mind, you want move back...

I reckon you might be better off informing dad that you're gonna move back and give him the option... Either he agrees OR you leave the child with dad.

So - I don't think this is worth taking to court... Let's play a game called what if... What if you felt you had a 100% chance of getting the result you want in court... SWEET go.. BUT what if it was 60%? Still keen? 50% chance? Look I'm not gonna tell you what chance you have because how the hell do I know... But I don't think it is even close to 100%.

So to help you understand my perspective. I had 5 nights a fortnight. The ex tells me she is moving and I will see the kids in holidays. I said NOPE... I got threatening letters from solicitors... I said nope... Accusations that I was harassing her, she needs to move because I"m so nasty... More solicitors, threats of court etc etc... I said NOPE... The kids now live with me and see mum 8 times a year.

So as a result of all this, I've read lots of relocation cases... They are incredibly hard to pick... But let me give you something to think about... How would they run their case??? They didn't ask you to move closer, YOUR CHOICE... They said great... Now all of a sudden, you've changed your mind... Do you see how inconsitent it looks?

Reactions: Norwest

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I have video footage from outside my house of her bringing her whole family and surrounding my house.

The evidence I have is emails and text messages from both him and his wife swearing at me, interfering in my day to day life, interfering at school etc.

So, your argument in favour of relocation is that step-mum is harassing you?

She can still send you nasty messages from 200km away. She can still denigrate you and harass you and call the child’s school from 200km away. She can do all of the above no matter where you live, so if the problem is that step-mum is harassing you, isn’t the better solution to get a restraining order against step-mum? What does relocation do better than a restraining order to solve the problem?

Don’t focus on what you’re getting away from.

If you want to relocate, what you need to show the Court is that a) the move is for good reason and b) the move won’t negatively impact the child’s relationship with Dad.

You have the advantage here of being the primary carer and still being able to facilitate every other weekend, so Dad is only losing those Tuesday afternoons. Offer ten days over the short school holidays instead of seven to make up for it, and do week about or two-week blocks over Christmas, plus phone calls or FaceTime a couple times each week. The Court doesn’t really like to limit a person’s freedom of movement, and if you’ve had past proceedings that saw you granted primary residency in competing applications, the Court will be reluctant to reverse residency when Dad is really only otherwise losing a couple of hours each week.

Your evidence should centre on the pattern of care and how it’s only going to change slightly with the relocation. You should also clearly state your reasons for moving - be it employment, a stronger support network to help you look after both kids, your relationship with your second child’s father.