Advice Needed

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DDE

27 July 2021
Hello everyone,
First post here & was wondering if I could please get some advice on this matter, we need help!
We asked our local member for some funding to either build a new Hall for our community or to renovate our existing Hall which has wrongfully been condemned by our local council because they didn't want to maintain it, the Hall is classified as a Local Heritage building & was built in 1916.
The local member did in fact find the funding amounting to $82,500 which was passed on to the Local Council.
The local member addressed the House Of Representatives in Canberra & he states in his speech & other Media that he found the funding for a new Hall or a Hall development for our Community, I have the paperwork on this.
In the Local Government Act 1993 it clearly states under "Funding" that any funds that are allocated to a specific purpose or grant are to be used for that specific purpose.

The Local Council has other plans & they now want to Demolish the Hall & replace it with a silly Gazebo & a BBQ which is of no practical use for our Community.
Am I correct in saying that the Council basically has to either build a new Hall or at least Renovate the existing Hall by Law?

There is more to the story & I can verify everything with paperwork if needed, this is just a basic outline of our problems.
Thanks

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
It's not really possible to comment without knowing all the details of the "more to the story".
For example, we don't even know which state you're in.

Have you taken your concerns back to the MP?

DDE

27 July 2021
Thanks for the reply Tim,
Sorry, state is NSW.

Yes, I have written to the MP but now he is the Deputy Prime Minister he doesn't bother to reply, he was all over everything until he was appointed just recently, I guess he finds these matters trivial now he has what he wants?
Like mentioned in the Hansard document & on other Media he states what the funding was for.

I have also written to the Mayor & again no reply.

I have attached the letter I wrote to the mayor which states a few things of concern, you will have to forgive the basic way I write, not used to it?
I have just removed my name from the header & at the bottom.

After our concerns about the Hall & what the Council had planned, the Council arranged a meeting with us here on the 24/7/21 where four Councillors & other council members attended, the meeting was to put forward the costing of works on the Hall & discuss other options.
They turned up with no information at all regarding this & said they would look into it?

The meeting was a complete waste of time & now stated that they may consider to do a partial renovation but if the quote "they get" will come to $300,000 to $500,000 then we will have to take the other option?
This is a hugely over exaggerated number, we don't want a palace.
You can now see what they will do, throw us a huge unrealistic number & force us to take other options.
As an example, I have a quote for a new Steel Kit Hall the same size as the existing hall for approx $20,000, plus a concrete slab & assembly costs, under $82,500, which I mentioned as another option besides the renovation but the subject changed very quickly & was not discussed.

Attachments

• Letter.pdf
    293.6 KB · Views: 0