QLD Adoption Australia - Can Stepfather Adopt Daughter?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Renae

20 February 2017
Hi.

I have an almost 5-year-old daughter. I do not know who her biological father is as I made some poor choices at time of conception. When she was 16 months old, I met a wonderful man who I have been with since and we have been married for a year now. He is the only father she has known.

Is it possible in QLD for him to adopt her? If so, how does this work?

Thank you for your help.

Simon Pattison

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
18 February 2017
QLD
lawtap.com
Hi Renae,

I'm not sure if you can adopt in your situation. I have had clients who for various reasons were not able to adopt in similar situations. Of course, every case is different.

Last year I acted for a couple who wanted to adopt their niece's child. They weren't able to adopt so we came up with an alternative where we went to court to obtain orders that they had parental responsibility for the child.

Not quite as good as adoption but will cover most important situations.

I'm happy to discuss that with you if you are interested.

Williom James

20 May 2019
Adoption is a process whereby a person assumes the parenting of another child. In my opinion, no, he does not have to adopt your child legally because he had married you. And you are the biological mother of the child so there is no legal formality needed from the father's side.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yep - but I reckon you're gonna need consent from bio -dad.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
any updates on this? as i’d like my partner to adopt my daughter as well, the only father figure she has known (now bio-dad wants mediation because i’m pregnant again, LMAO)
Which state?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Could i message you in regards to some questions i have? Still waiting on approval for my question! :( and need answers asap
Sorry, but the mod/admin process for new posts exists for a reason.
None of the lawyers here will be prepared to side-step it.

(for clarity: I am not an Admin here)