Adobe rip off? Auto renewing subscriptions and huge Cancellation fees

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gilariel

29 May 2017
Hi there, first time posting for me.

Today I discovered that I've been paying for Adobe stock images for 6 months. Originally I signed up for a free 1 month trial for Adobe stock images (approx $40 per month) ...but evidently I didn't cancel it (I swear I did...but...) and now it's clicked over 6 times and I only just discovered it in my bank statements. I've never used any images beyond the first free month.
As you can imagine, I cancelled the service only to be hit with a $98 cancellation fee!!*!

1. Is there any hope of getting my money back since I've not used any images?
2. Is a cancellation fee that big even legal?!? It hasn't cost them anything, so why am I having to cough up $98!?

Any advice appreciated

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Gilariel,
Jump on the website and check the terms and conditions. Have a look at what you signed up for. If the told you all of this information before you signed up, then I'm not sure there is an easy way out.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is a cancellation fee that big even legal?!? It hasn't cost them anything, so why am I having to cough up $98!?

Probably not. But the time and effort into chasing the $98 is not going to be worth it. Unless you like to argue on principle in which case the amount of money and time you spend is irrelevant.

Reactions: Lance