NSW Accidentally changed someone's password without permission. What do I do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
24 August 2018
So I worked in IT at my college (quit 4 months ago) and out of curiosity I looked up a friend's friend's profile to see what courses they were doing. I know this is already a breach of privacy.
I was going to close the tab after I was done but I accidentally clicked on the "Generate and set random password" button. I cannot reverse this change. I don't know what the password is. I closed the tab immediately.
This still haunts me every day... it happened 10 months ago. If you went on their profile and checked the logs, you would see that a change as been made by me. What should I do? should I admit it to my (previous) boss?

Any advice on what to do next is appreciated.

Last edited:

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
This still haunts me every day...

Good, it should. Hopefully you've learnt your lesson and never do something silly again.

As this is at the very low end of offending, and you have probably learnt your lesson, I'd not say anything.

Keep quiet, learn, and move on I say.

Reactions: 237ivyn923875n3
24 August 2018
Good, it should. Hopefully you've learnt your lesson and never do something silly again.

As this is at the very low end of offending, and you have probably learnt your lesson, I'd not say anything.

Keep quiet, learn, and move on I say.
Thank you so much for the reply. Yes, I'm so ashamed of what I've done and it's one of the reasons why I left the job.
What I am most afraid of now is the person finding out. If they ended up working there too, they could see the change that has been made. What's the worst that could happen?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Unlikely to be much some 10 months later. The person concerned may just think they clicked on something they shouldn't have, or there was an IT glitch.

But no point worrying. Accept you did wrong, and move on.

Reactions: 237ivyn923875n3