VIC Access to police complaint

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bottleneck

6 November 2019
I'm thinking about making a complaint to the police about somebody. The police said they will create a file on him just in case something happens later (that he murders me, for example), but they won't be taking any action at this stage, apart from having a chat with him, as it's not serious enough and there's a lack of proof. I'm worried that the information I provide could get into his hands, by his lawyer, for example. How safe will the information be if I provide it?

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Very safe at this point.

He won't need a lawyer unless he's charged and if that happens, then he obviously has a right to know the details so he can defend himself. So unless you get to a point where the Police do decide take action, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Hopefully the chat will be enough to resolve the issue anyway.

Bottleneck

6 November 2019
Very safe at this point.

He won't need a lawyer unless he's charged and if that happens, then he obviously has a right to know the details so he can defend himself. So unless you get to a point where the Police do decide take action, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Hopefully the chat will be enough to resolve the issue anyway.

I hope so too. I'll just have to be careful in what I say to avoid future defamation action against me if it does go any further.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
There's no defamation issue. If you make false statements to Police then you would be in a lot more serious trouble. As long as what you put in your statements are accurate, you'll be fine.

Bottleneck

6 November 2019
There's no defamation issue. If you make false statements to Police then you would be in a lot more serious trouble. As long as what you put in your statements are accurate, you'll be fine.
Well, yes, that I did know! Thanks, Scruff