WA Access to Parent's Superannuation Details?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tammy smith

9 March 2017
How long after a parent dies can I obtain his superannuation details? And can I access them being his daughter?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Tammy,

Are you an only child? Is your Mum still with us? And if your Mum is still with us, was she still in a relationship with your Dad when he passed?

A few questions but I'm just trying fill in a few holes so someone might be able to better answer.

Tammy smith

9 March 2017
No, I have two siblings. Yes, my mother is alive. Yes, she was married to my father until he passed.

We have currently had a falling out with her as she now has found a new love. Now this man is wanted by police. A well-known con man to all who know him and my sisters and I are trying to protect her assets.

My father had a large amount of super and life insurance and this has now come to our attention that someone has forged our signatures on paperwork regarding his monies. So she won't let us see dad's super beneficiaries and are wondering if we can ring his super fund to find this out, because if dad left it to her, good and well. But if not, my sisters and I will be seeking legal action

Reactions: Timnuts

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Tammy,

As I thought. Your Mum should have gained access to your Dad's superannuation, I'm guessing but he probably left it to her.

If you are trying to block it to stop her being ripped off, I don't know how you can do that. Your best better would be to speak with a lawyer skilled in superannuation and probate.

Smiley

1 April 2015
Hi Tammy,

I hope this helps:

1. Is your mother entitled to your late father's superannuation?

It would appear so.

Superannuation is passed down to the spouse of the deceased initially (mum), if there is no spouse, then children will be taken into consideration and other financial dependants.

2. You say your mother is now in a relationship with a con artist. You infer the con artist may access your late father's superannuation funds via mum.

As per Lance, you would be best to speak with a lawyer. However, this would be very tough to enforce. Unless of course the con artist is stealing / inappropriately accessing the funds.

3. You ask if you can find out whom your late father nominated as his beneficiaries?

Yes, you can ask. You can always ask a question.

However, a beneficiary nomination is generally non-binding (no witness required) unless your father signed a binding nomination (requires witnesses etc).

If it was a non-binding nomination, the Trustee only takes this into consideration when determining to whom the superannuation benefits should be paid to.

Cheers,

Reactions: Timnuts