SA Access to my children

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Stuart_W

26 June 2017
Hi,

Short version of the story is my wife left our home just over seven weeks ago taking our four daughters and most of the contents of the house...I have not seen the girls since and my wife is refusing to allow me to see the girls until she is "legally required to". Our daughters are aged between 6 to 16 months old.

My wife has contacted Relationships Australia and asked for assistance with a parenting plan, however our first appointment for mediation is not until September due to waiting list...this will mean a separation from the girls of around four months.

I have been told by a number of professionals that this length of separation is not good for the girls.

Due to having to take on all family debt, I am unable to afford any legal assistance however I am sure that my income will keep me from being eligible for any sort of legal aid.

Can someone assist with information on what I can do prior to the Relationships Australia mediation session...

Thank you in advance for your help with this...it is greatly appreciated.

sammy01

27 September 2015
UNIFAM is another mediation service. Might be wroth a shot.

the alternative - look. It depends. Can you fill in a bit more information... Can you at least talk to the ex?
One option is writing up consent orders. You can get them stamped by the court for $160.
So it is a document about when you can see the kids... It will require both ofyou to agree... So if the ex won't talk to you then you're not going to get any sort of agreement.

For the minute, I would suggest you text the ex. Ask for time with the kids. But don't be persistent IF she says NO once in writing, then leave it two weeks before asking again. You don't want to give her grounds for an AVO... They are exceptionally easy to get...

Mate I feel for you... I went nearly 4 months without seeing the kids... Bloody hard days... But be patient and realise that while the process is long, you have to be smart about what you do...

So one concern, do you know where she and the kids are? if she moves a vast distance away then you really might have to start making some tough decision... But lets take small steps for the minute...

mate the more info you can provide here the better... Just don't give details - names etc.

Stuart_W

26 June 2017
I am in communication with my wife via email, however she has said that she does not intend to allow me to see the girls until she is legally required to.

I have also emailed her counsellor asking him for assistance and he said he would talk to her about it...unfortunately over a week later there is now no communication or response from the counsellor now also.

I have asked to just talk to the girls over the phone...and still nothing.

I know they are living somewhere within the same city as myself and don't have any plans to move due to family etc.

Not sure what other information would be helpful at this stage.

sammy01

27 September 2015
What sort of time are you wanting with the kids?

So you could write to her and ask her to agree to consent orders... So basically, the good folk here can help you write up a 1-2 page document. It would have an expiry date. So it could be a 6 month legally binding contract that says, the kids live with mum and spend time with dad from XXXX on XXXXX until XXXX on XXXXX. With pick up and drop off to happen at XXX location... It would need to be a bit more complex... But that is the nuts and bolts.... The complexity comes with the ages. 6 yr old overnight should be ok... 16 month old.... You might be looking at a few hours once or twice a week...

I would suggest you write a brief email to her and ask if she would agree if you were to prepare and pay the filing fee... Look if she isn't prepared to agree, then at least you'll know that she is bluffing you and that she is intent on keeping the kids away...

Has she provided any reason for refusing you access except forthe legally binding etc etc... Has she expressed any concerns for your ability to look after the kids?
he links below can help get you started.

Application for Consent Orders (do it yourself kit) - Family Court of Australia
This site tells us that it will only cost you $160 to get a legally enforceable document. Wow heaps cheaper than court... Again no need to say thanks...
Court Fees (Family Law) - Family Court of Australia

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Mm, most free dispute resolution services have very long wait times. The last time we used one, we started the process in July and didn't actually mediate until the following February. Lucky for us, though, we already had sealed orders, so the wait time wasn't at the expense of the child involved.

The professionals are correct - such a lengthy separation is not in the children's best interests, and god willing, mum will get the same advice from a lawyer, too. The Court doesn't take well to parents who needlessly stop their kids from having a relationship with the other parent, but it's often a lawyer who has to explain this to the offending parent.

For now, though, there isn't a great deal that you can do, except maybe arm yourself with knowledge. While there are no orders in place, parents can do as they see fit, but it's important to be patient and remain calm (and seek support if you need) so your words or actions aren't at risk of creating problems down the line (like a heat-of-the-moment text message being brought up as threatening behaviour by the other parent in future proceedings). It's critical to remain reasonable and amicable at all times so you never fall into the trap of giving mum ammunition, should it end up in Court.

My suggestion is to write to your ex politely requesting time with the kids - "Hi, I was wondering if the kids are available to spend time with me on [date]? I am happy to collect them at [time] and return them at [time] the following day. Please let me know if this works for you, or otherwise advise of a time and date which suits you better." If mum says no, simply say, "Okay, no problem, if there is another day that works for you, please let me know." Wait a week or two and then ask again.

The reason I suggest this is because you'll be developing a track record of being flexible and showing your efforts to see the kids, and she will either work together with you on that which benefits the kids, or she will be developing a track record of rigid refusal to facilitate the kids' relationship with you.

For mediation, come to the table with a proposal for what kind of time you think the kids should spend with each of you. Given the kids are all fairly similar in age, it's probably appropriate to expect that they stay on the same schedule, but as they are also very young, you shouldn't expect them to move to a 50/50 arrangement immediately. For young children, it's often the case that kids cope better with shorter visits more frequently, rather than longer visits less frequently. For example, one or two overnights in a row will be better for the kids than five or six overnights in a row, at least until they get older.

There are some concerning features in your case, like not knowing where the kids live. It's a standard clause in parenting orders for parents to keep each other informed of contact information, so include this as an issue to raise in mediation. You might also consider seeking a clause that limits either parent from relocating with the children to another town without the other parent's agreement.

In the event mediation fails (and it usually does, unfortunately, but you should go into it hoping that it doesn't), then you'll be granted a s60I certificate, which forms a mandatory document to be filed with an initiating application for parenting orders from the Family Court. If mum has refused to disclose her address at mediation, you would need to seek a location order from the Court, as well.

I hate to say this, but in my experience, level-headed fathers nearly always get a better deal from the Courts than what they can get through mediation with the ex, and you can blame decades of ill-informed societal support for dads only seeing their kids every other weekend for that.

Modern Australian legislation, in contrast, heavily supports shared parenting in this country - equal shared parental responsibility is a presumption, which means the only time it isn't ordered is if someone successfully rebuts it (uncommon), and where that presumption is upheld, the Court has to consider if equal time is in the best interests of the kids first, and failing that, it has to consider substantial and significant time as the next best thing. Substantial and significant time is a combination of weekends, weekdays, holidays and special occasions, so every-other-weekend is very much the exception, rather than the rule. I'd say the average outcome in a case with no mitigating features is five nights a fortnight, if not more.

For added interest, about 95% of parenting matters initiated in Court are later settled by consent. Only about 5% are actually determined at trial. Trial is the most expensive part of the whole process, so if your ex is paying for her own lawyer, she's got good motivation to settle. If she's funded, Legal Aid very rarely funds matters at trial, so again, good motivation to settle. The prospect of $20,000+ in legal fees can make even the most determined ex reconsider their position.

If I may, what reason has she given for withholding the kids, and for not disclosing their current address?