NSW Abandonment law on house in joint name ?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Michelle Elisabeth

26 August 2017
Hi , 20 years ago I inherited my mothers house with my sister , my ex partner and I bought her half of the house ( with a loan ) and proceeded to live in, we are separated now 7 years , he has not contributed one cent to the house or bills since he ran off , there are no contact details since he left , I have stayed in the house to continue raising our 4 children , but I'm tired of being here and want to leave. What are my rights with th house now ??

sammy01

27 September 2015
Is his name on the title? were you married? were you legally divorced.. Look this could get messy IF he is on the title, he owns half the house by default and if he tries to play nasty you're gonna have to spend some money to get a judge to make a decision about how the proceeds of the place are to be divided.

If he lived in the house for 11 yrs (prior to you separating) and contributed towards the loan, then he is gonna have some grounds to have a claim on the place... How much? what %? No idea...

Michelle Elisabeth

26 August 2017
Is his name on the title? were you married? were you legally divorced.. Look this could get messy IF he is on the title, he owns half the house by default and if he tries to play nasty you're gonna have to spend some money to get a judge to make a decision about how the proceeds of the place are to be divided.

If he lived in the house for 11 yrs (prior to you separating) and contributed towards the loan, then he is gonna have some grounds to have a claim on the place... How much? what %? No idea...

I thought as much , I've been told similar to this but lately everyone is telling me about some abandonment law , yes we were married , looking into how to divorce now , another fun issue without knowing where he is. Yes his name is on the title , that's why I'm stuck here. Being a single mum with a part time income I can't afford to go to courts etc and have no faith in legal aid after the advice they gave me. Just over it.