QLD Abandoned Property - How to Get Uncollected Goods Form?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jamestc

22 January 2018
In Sept 2016, a person I had known a short time asked if could he leave his vehicle at my place. I said ok. He said he would come and collect it within 2 months. He didn't. It has run out of rego 10 months ago.

I have attempted to contact him unsuccessfully for the last 6 months. I have been told I need an uncollected goods form and go to the local court to get approval to dispose of it ex parte.

Is this the best solution for an abandoned property, and if so what number is the form I need and where can I get it?

Reactions: Timothy Longmire

sammy01

27 September 2015
What sort of car?

There a people who will pay to come and collect a car. They might even give you $100 or so for it... I'd chase that down with a car wrecker before seeking avenues through the courts.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I'd chase that down with a car wrecker

Doing that leaves the OP liable to the car owner. Probably works a lot of time, but if the car owner wants to enforce their rights in court they can.

Selling the vehicle, especially below market value leaves the seller exposed.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What sort of car?

There a people who will pay to come and collect a car. They might even give you $100 or so for it... I'd chase that down with a car wrecker before seeking avenues through the courts.
...except it's not yours to sell or dispose of.
Have a read of this.
And then maybe ring the court and ask where to download the form.