NSW A child needs help - Child's rights

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Min min

16 June 2019
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me. Here's my situation:
I was selected to participate in the Zhuhai International Mozart Competition for young musicians held in September this year, but my mother does not agree for me to go to the competition overseas. As my father and mother are going through separation currently. My father supports my going to the competition but my mother shares half of my care and she has my sister and I on airport watch so we cannot go overseas. The violin is my future, and I won't be able to talk to the judge myself, so I don't know how I can fight back to go to the competition for the good experience and more importantly, to represent my country, Australia.

Hummingbird

1 August 2018
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me. Here's my situation:
I was selected to participate in the Zhuhai International Mozart Competition for young musicians held in September this year, but my mother does not agree for me to go to the competition overseas. As my father and mother are going through separation currently. My father supports my going to the competition but my mother shares half of my care and she has my sister and I on airport watch so we cannot go overseas. The violin is my future, and I won't be able to talk to the judge myself, so I don't know how I can fight back to go to the competition for the good experience and more importantly, to represent my country, Australia.

Hi min min, how old are you?

What reasons is your mother giving for not allowing the trip? It is a red flag that she has you on airport watch, why? That information may help with advice, as if she is telling the truth she had to go to some lengths to have you put on an airport watch list, and typically this occurs when one parent believes the children are a risk of international abduction. Does this sound like a situation you may be in?

In general both parents are obviously required to sign your passport application, however if your father supports the trip, and you have exhausted negotiating with your mother (any concerns with itinerary, accomodations, costs etc), your father can apply for special permission for you to be issued a passport from the dept of foreign affairs and trade. If they decline your father can go to court and have a judge decide whether to allow a passport to be issued to you without your mothers signature.

Atticus

6 February 2019
y mother shares half of my care and she has my sister and I on airport watch so we cannot go overseas

Are you officially on an AFP airport watch list? Depending on the wording in the order it can be unconditional, meaning a new court order has to be issued to remove your names, or conditional upon the consent of both parents.

Perhaps your music teacher could influence your mother by pointing out the advantages of allowing it and giving her a detailed itinerary

Min min

16 June 2019
"Atticus, post: 77031, member: 23179"]Are you officially on an AFP airport watch list? Depending on the wording in the order it can be unconditional, meaning a new court order has to be issued to remove your names, or conditional upon the consent of both parents.
Perhaps your music teacher could influence your mother by pointing out the advantages of allowing it and giving her a detailed itinerary[/QUOTE]

To Atticus: My teacher has already tried multiple times to convince her to let me go to the competition.

Atticus

6 February 2019
That seems really unfair to deny you this opportunity unless there are compelling reasons for her opposition. Perhaps reasons that you are not aware of..

Look it may be worth finding out the actual conditions of the AFP watch list in your case.. Your father should be able to do that... The only other option then if the order is unconditional, or if it's conditional on consent but mum still won't give it, is for dad to seek an order of the court to vary the current order, or to allow travel for this specific time and place..

A supporting affidavit setting out how this is in your best interests, and a letter from your music teacher annexed to it will be a very big help.. If dad was to do this, he should get on to it quickly if it's to be done by September.. Good Luck