VIC 4wk car engine Dies!!

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Duane12

29 June 2017
Purchased a Vehichle 2nd hand after 4.5 weeks the car itself "ENGINE"died i took it back to dealer, there was no warranty given to the car which had 300,000km on it which i did overlook and. Now the dealer wants me to pay $1500 extra as hes paying $1000so total engine costs is $2500,' The Car yard i got from will pay the $1000. I really dont kow the engine dieing is my fault but think i need some help as cant collect i have. Please help.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Duane,
So a lot of car yards do this. There are no statutory warranties with a vehicle over 160,000 kms and 10 years old, however you are still covered by Australian Consumer law warranties. You should expect a vehicle is: fit for purpose, will last a reasonable amount of time, be of an acceptable quality and free from defects. This blog post will help: Lemon Car? What You Can Do Under Australian Consumer Law - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au
If you start by speaking again with the dealer and tell them that yes you may not be entitled to a statutory warranty but you are protected by Australian Consumer law warranties, as such you want it to be repaired at their cost or you will have a full refund. See how you go.