NSW 3P 6am - 1pm Unclear about details.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Darry71

18 March 2018
Hi. After getting a fine last week I need to be clear about some parking rules and find somewhere safe to park when I get the train from Glenfield. What I am wondering about this sign is this. If I park at 12pm and get back at 6pm is this breaking the law?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
3P means 3 hours parking. The 6am - 1pm is the time that is in effect. Outside those times, it's the default time. I don't know what that is in NSW, but around here it is 2 hours. Now whether you a total of 3 hours (i.e. your 2 hours resets at 1pm), of 2 hours total is immaterial. You're talking about parking there for 6 hours, which clearly doesn't fit under either.

So, assuming the 'default' parking time is less than 5 hours (1pm - 6pm), then you've committed an infringement.

Darry71

18 March 2018
Sorry, I should have been clear that there is no time limit outside of those hours. I am wondering if that because I parked before 1pm that I still must move after 3 hours.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
There doesn't have to be a posted limit, if your area has it. Check the local Council's parking rules.

If there is no default time, then you're fine. Once it hits 1pm, it's unregulated.