QLD 24-Year-Old Warrant for Drink Driving - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DAVE C

13 November 2016
Yesterday, the police showed up at my residence with a warrant for drink driving from 24 years ago, the problem being I dont know anything about this incident.

What do I do? I wasn't home at the time.

Any help appreciated

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
When is the court date?

You either fight it or plead guilty. If you fight it, first line of defence I'd run is for a permanent stay of proceedings due to excessive delay. May not work, but worth a try. If that doesn't work then the prosecution needs to prove its case and that may be hard after 24 years.

DAVE C

13 November 2016
No court date yet as only my son was home. I'm away and rang the cops yesterday. They told me to hand myself in.... but not till I get legal advice.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
I can't give you legal advice. I can say that if it was me, I'd be going to the police station, give them my name and address, and then say 'no comment' to every question put to me. They may arrest you when you turn up so they can ask formal questions, then they may release you at the end assuming this is the only warrant they have on you.

I would not answer some questions, and refuse others.

Not going to the station is likely to only delay the inevitable.

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
You would think the police would have better things to do than dig up something that happened 24 years ago! I would be asking why it took so long to execute and any right-thinking magistrate would do the same.

Go to the police station and ask for the facts of the case. I doubt it would get to court after a quarter of a century.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
The only charge is drink driving? Nothing else?

Not sure what I am missing given that 24 years has passed.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
QLD