WA 137A.Approaching and passing stationary incident response vehicles

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kevin00

3 May 2018
Hi,

With this new "slomo" regulation coming out there seems to be some confusion. I normally see no one slowing down to 40k's, or passing one lane over.

But I want to dissect this a bit more, because its often advertised as any vehicle displaying a flashing light that you have to do the above. In the regulation it states:

(a)an emergency vehicle;
(b)a motor break‑down service vehicle;
(c)a tow truck;
(d)a vehicle that is being used to provide an incident response service on behalf of the Commissioner of Main Roads.

So any old vehicle doing road works etc isn't included. This is difficult when there are vehicles used for both incident response and for road works (like tree trimming). It's not obvious if its a Main Roads vehicle until you are passing it and see the sticker on the door. Obviously on the freeways this is too late to slow to 40, and if you slow to 40 for the wrong vehicle you are in the wrong because you are travelling too slow.

Does it sound like I'm on the right track here? It's more so the freeways, where slowing to 40 from 100 is a bit of a hazard when no one else around you does it.