QLD 10 pound of weed,Drug possession charge

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jeremy Smith

2 August 2018
A guy I know was recently caught with 10 pounds of weed in his car. What’s the jail time for that and is there anyway to get out on bail?

D

Deleted member 12925

Hi,

The likely sentence (and yes actual imprisonment is the most appropriate outcome given the quantity of drugs) largely depends on the particulars of the charges (has your friend been charged with possession only, or supply or trafficking?) and also the persons criminal history generally (and history of drug offences in particular).

Depending on those matters (and whether or not your friend defends the charge(s) there may well be grounds for a bail application.

Please have your friend give me a call anytime (incl after hours) on 0415 629 918 to discuss the details and i can provide some more specific advice free of charge on the phone.

Cheers

Jeremy Smith

2 August 2018
I see. He’s been charged with supply and he has had 1 minor drug charge a few months ago but was not convicted and he also has no other conviction or criminal record

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
I would be EXTREMELY surprised if he does not see an upgrade to trafficking or a separate charge of trafficking.

If they can't get evidence of trafficking it'll remain at supply but that is a lot of weed.

ETA: He needs a lawyer. Even if going guilty - probably especially if going guilty.