What You Need to Know About the 457 Visa

What You Need to Know About the 457 Visa

The 457 Visa is an Australian visa that allows holders of that visa to work in their profession with company sponsorship for a period of up to four years.

How you may qualify for the 457 visa:

  1. If you have been in contact with a business in Australia and they have decided to sponsor you. This company also needs to be an approved business by the Australian Federal Government.
  2. If you are skilled and trained to work in the role that you have specified at the company that plans to sponsor you.

How can I lodge my 457 visa application?

You can lodge your application either from within or outside Australia.

For your application, your future employer must:

  • Get approved as a sponsor
  • Nominate you to work for them

However, you and your employer can both lodge your applications at the same time. If you currently have a visa that says you are not allowed to further your stay, you will not be granted the 457 Visa.

You need to have a passport that is valid in order to apply for a 457 visa. If your passport is due to expire, you will need to first renew your passport before you can complete an application for the 457 Visa.

Can I include my family in my 457 Visa application?

Your family is allowed to be included in your application if:

  • They are your partner – either married or a de facto
  • They are your dependent children, or your partner’s dependent children
  • They are other relatives who are dependent on you

What do I need to do to get a granted application for my 457 Visa?

  • You will need to be able to speak English, and you may need to sit a test to prove that your English is adequate
  • You will need to pass a health examination
  • You will need to prove you have adequate health insurance
  • You will need to prove you are of good standing character, and this can include providing a police certificate for over the past 10 years

After your application has been lodged, you can expect to wait at least two months for it to be approved.

Get Immigration Law Help Now!