We speak with LawTap lawyer Shaun Eckert at First Point Legal located in Belmont, Newcastle, NSW to learn more about him and his law firm.
1. Tell us about the areas of law you practice, the work that you do and the clients you work with at First Point Legal
My areas of legal practice include personal injury law, wills and estates law, property law and conveyancing as well as commercial and business law. I enjoy working with clients in these practice areas as I really feel that I am able to help them and they are always grateful.
2. What do you enjoy most about your job?
As a lawyer, I enjoy the flexibility of working to my own schedule and meeting new people every day and assisting them by providing legal solutions.
3. What’s the biggest challenge or hardest part of your job?
The biggest challenge as a lawyer is ensuring that clients are aware of their legal rights and that they don’t delay getting advice for their situation as quickly as possible.
4. What are you most proud of in your career as a lawyer?
Solving clients’ legal problems makes me proud.
5. What big changes do you think the legal industry can expect to see over the next 3 years?
Technology disruption is big and it is going to be important as a lawyer to change with the times and expectations of clients.
6. Favourite TV show or film?
My favourite TV show is NCIS. I love crime fighting and solving the mystery.
7. At what stage should someone contact you about a legal issue or matter?
People should contact me if they require, or think they require, legal advice or legal services.
8. What should potential clients do before seeing you?
Potential clients should ensure that they have all the information together and don’t delay making an appointment. This is especially important where a limitation period is involved which can have the effect of disentitling the client, such as a personal injury law matter.