We speak with LawTap lawyer Denise O’Reilly at O’Reilly Workplace Law located in Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast, Queensland to learn more about her and her law firm.
1. Tell us about the areas of law you practice, the work that you do and the clients you work with at O’Reilly Workplace Law
I practise exclusively in workplace relations, which covers general employment law, industrial relations, equal opportunity and workplace health and safety. Our lawyers primarily work with successful, growing organisations with between 20 to 100 employees to assist them with workplace arrangements and to minimise the ‘fire fighting’ that comes from individual employee challenges.
2. What do you enjoy most about your job?
As an employment lawyer, I most enjoy solving problems in our clients’ businesses.
3. What’s the biggest challenge or hardest part of your job?
The biggest challenge is the uncertainty of litigation outcomes for our clients.
4. What are you most proud of in your career as a lawyer?
In my career as an employment and workplace relations lawyer, I’m most proud of establishing our dedicated workplace relations firm and creating a team of talented individuals with a passion for workplace relations.
5. What big changes do you think the legal industry can expect to see over the next 3 years?
In workplace relations, the increasing focus on personal liability for company directors, managers and other employees as accessories to breaches of workplace laws. Even external advisors can be liable as accessories for breaches of workplace laws.
6. Favourite TV show?
‘Suits’ because the writers are not constrained by the law or reality.
7. At what stage should someone contact you about a legal issue or matter?
Ideally before the legal issue becomes a problem, so that we can position our client in a way to minimise the risks and hassles that often come from legal issues.
8. What should potential clients do before seeing you?
Collect all relevant contracts, policies and procedures.