We speak with LawTap lawyer Ashley Brygel at Brygel Lawyers located in Melbourne, Victoria to learn more about him and his family law firm.
1. Tell us about the areas of law you practice, the work that you do and the types of clients you work with at Brygel Lawyers
I principally work in Family Law as a family lawyer with clients of all ages. I recently concluded a family law matter for a 92 year old man.
2. What do you enjoy most about your job?
As a family lawyer, I most enjoy attaining a positive outcome for a client who is appreciative of my work.
3. What’s the biggest challenge or hardest part of your job?
The biggest challenge is achieving an early resolution when the other party and/or family lawyer is being obstructive to negotiation within reasonable boundaries.
4. What are you most proud of in your career as a lawyer?
I’m most proud of being able to put myself ‘in my client’s shoes’ in order to understand their concerns.
5. What big changes do you think the legal industry can expect to see over the next 3 years?
More competition from online do it yourself websites and less emphasis on face to face contact.
6. Favourite TV show?
Curb Your Enthusiasm – we can all relate to Larry in some way.
7. At what stage should someone contact you about a legal issue or matter?
In a case of potential separation, it is best to have a confidential chat as early as possible with a family lawyer. There is much information available on the web now, but the reality is that every matter is unique and it is important to understand your own rights and obligations. Once the client is armed with the necessary advice pertaining to the matter, then he or she will usually feel far more at ease and be better equipped to negotiate a settlement with the other party, possibly even before lawyers become formally involved.
8. What should potential clients do before seeing you?
Ensure that they have all relevant information to hand. It is surprising to see how little some clients know about their own financial affairs.