Australian Visa Options Studying in Australia

Australian Visa Options – Studying in Australia

You may have always dreamed of studying in Australia. However, immigration law can sometimes be a difficult field to navigate, so here are some key points about Australian visa requirements.

University and postgraduate education

The type of Australian visa you require depends on the course you would be studying. For tertiary level education, you may be able to apply for the:

  • Higher Education Sector visa (subclass 573), or
  • Postgraduate Research Sector visa (subclass 574).

If you’re studying a course that doesn’t lead to an award, such as a foundation course, then you may need the Non Award Sector visa (subclass 575).

Training and vocational courses

There are also visas available for students wishing to study vocational courses or undertake research and work-based training in Australia. For example, the Vocational Education and Training Sector visa (subclass 572), or the Training and Research visa (subclass 402).

There may also be sponsorship opportunities available from the Department of Defence or Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, in which case the Foreign Affairs or Defence Sector visa (subclass 576) is required.

Other courses

The Independent ELICOS Sector visa (subclass 570) allows those who will be studying English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) to do so in Australia.

Do you meet the criteria for an Australian visa?

To study in Australia, you will need to meet the relevant Australian visa requirements and the entry criteria of your preferred educational institution. You must also provide evidence that you can financially support yourself throughout your studies.

Visa applications are subject to assessment. Where the student’s country of origin and their chosen field of study are considered along with their visa requirements, and whether there are any immigration risks.

Remember that you will not only need visa acceptance, but also confirmation of a place at your chosen educational institution via an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE).

Other circumstances

If you are only staying in Australia to study for a limited period, you should apply for a visitor visa.

In some circumstances, family members of students with visas can also apply to stay with them.

Get Immigration Law Help Now!