Applying for a Liquor Licence in Victoria

Applying for a Liquor Licence in Victoria

If you intend on serving alcohol in Victoria, a liquor licence is required. The type of liquor licence that you need will depend on the type of applicant and the mode in which you will supply the liquor.

Here are factors you should consider when applying for a liquor licence in Victoria on behalf of yourself or your organisation:


Do you need your liquor licence for a one-off event, or will your requirements be ongoing?


Will the alcohol be consumed where it is purchased, or will people be taking it off the premises?

Local laws

Local councils often have regulations and laws pertaining to the sale, service and consumption of alcohol, particularly in public places. Local council can also place restrictions on how your premises is used.


If you are opening a restaurant, will you be selling alcohol or allowing people to bring their own? Selling and supplying alcohol are two different ‘intentions’ for the purposes of a liquor licence.

Once you have determined these factors, you can apply for one of the following licences:

Temporary liquor licences

One event, or a series of events over three months or less, would likely fall into this category.

Limited scale and scope

If you want to supply alcohol on a substantially restricted scale, including limited trading days and hours, or a specialised range of products, this might be the licence for you.

On-premises and take away liquor licence

If you want people to be able to both consume and take alcohol away, you can get a licence for both.


If you’re a sporting or membership club, this licence will cover you for members and members’ guests.

On-premises consumption

Bars, nightclubs, restaurants and cafes usually select this licence when they want people to be able to purchase alcohol for consumption on premises.

Packaged sales

This licence is ideal if you want to sell liquor for retail profit, where people would consume alcohol after leaving your premises.

Bring your own

If you want people to be able to bring alcohol to your premises (but not buy it from you), you would get a bring your own (BYO) licence.

There are also special licences for wholesale supply, wineries and breweries, and internet and mail order stores.

If you are a small business, such as a hairdresser or florist, you may be exempt from having to hold a liquor licence.

Get Commercial Law Help Now!