Verbal Agreements - Valid Under Family Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Matthew

4 May 2014
I have recently been told by my ex that the verbal agreements that we have had in place for over a year between us are no longer valid because of new changes to laws, due to my son being autistic. She said this was told to her by a lawyer. I am just wondering if this is true?

CathL

19 April 2014
Australia
Hi again Matthew,

I think I responded to a variant of this question in your other post: http://www.lawanswers.com.au/threads/children-custody-rights-travel-distance.149/.
The same rules apply, your verbal agreement is not legally enforceable (according to the Family Law Courts). Consent Orders or Parenting Orders are legally enforceable. Ultimately, whatever Order is applied for/decided, the parenting arrangements must be in the best interests of the child.

If things are getting a bit tricky/complicated, it might be worthwhile arranging that free Family Relationships Centre dispute resolution session, and perhaps getting personalised legal advice from a family lawyer.