NSW Restaurant Patrons - Runner on Bar Tab - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

harley

9 August 2014
I am a liquor licensee in NSW and I run I restaurant. I have just had a group of people run out on a bar tab. Is this a civil matter? I have acquired their basic info so I can contact them but these people don't seem to be the type to come back and pay (hence why I'm typing this to you). Where do I stand when I go to the police? Will they tell me this is a civil matter or because this is strictly in regards to liquor? They ate no food. Is there legislation that suggests this act is a crime? Thanks.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @harley,
  1. What "basic info" do you have on the bar tab runners?
  2. My understanding (which will hopefully be clarified by @Tim W and others with knowledge of NSW law) is that the theft/fraud is a criminal offence. That said, from a practical perspective, because of limited police resources and difficulty in proving intent/dishonesty, it may be easier to pursue a small claim for breach of contract against the runners if you have their personal information.
Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Toqual

10 July 2014
If they owe you money, visit your local court house and lodge a Statement of Claim - a demand for money. If they claim they do not owe you the money, a hearing will be scheduled. I highly recommend you obtain proof immediately.