New Business - Private Club for Females?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ruby25

18 June 2014
Hello forum, newbie to this and looking for solid advice and maybe a lawyer. We are in the process of opening a private club with entry only to members and those members can only be like minded females. The premises in NSW and Victoria that we are currently fitting out will have change rooms, saunas and movies and a bar and lounge area. One of our directors has been informed that we may be in breach of the law because we will also be marketing ourselves as a SOP venue. This commercial venture is being established to provide a safe haven for females to associate with each other through their membership entitlements. What laws (i.e. commercial law) could we possibly be breaching and what type of lawyer is best for us? Thank you.

Ruby25

18 June 2014
I thought I should explain what SOP means. It means in the industry "sex on premises" and that is probably why we need legal advice perhaps

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Where to even start....

1. Yes, you do need the advice of a lawyer. If only because of the amount of money involved.

2. There are several different sets of laws (Commonwealth, State and Local Government)
    in play. And not just about the sex industry aspects. Failure to comply with any one of them
    could see you shut down, and your investment lost.

3. Land use (by which I mostly mean the local planning rules about setting up an SOP venue)
    involves Council (mostly). They are not always helpful.
Scarlet Alliance and SWOP have both published some starter material about planning.