Stalking and Harassment - Can I Sue or Get Compensation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Helen14

5 July 2014
Its hard for people to understand the long term effects of bullying and harrassment. It can effect people many years on.

Toqual

10 July 2014
Hi @Helen14

Glad to hear you are tackling the issue. I agree and do understand, bullying does indeed take it's toll over a long period of time. However, I continue to believe you should contact the authorities about this. I would suggest you call your local police station and explain the situation - don't forget to state you had contacted the police at a previous time. You may see this to be futile, although I believe it could help you.

Best of luck.

Helen14

5 July 2014
Thanks for your advice and understanding. But it happened over a year ago. What would the police do? I am no longer being harrassed.

Toqual

10 July 2014
Ah, I was not aware that it was that long ago. May I ask what occurred when you contacted police originally?

Helen14

5 July 2014
the first time was whenI told the police he was harrassed me via facebook pretending to be someone else. After three months I never heard from him then he started harrassing.me again via facebook and email. I didnt go back to the police I just changed my email address and mobile no. This went on for two months

Toqual

10 July 2014
Alright. The mistake was to not contact police when he continued for a second time. Did you take screenshots for evidence? Has he ever bothered you since changing your email and mobile number?

Helen14

5 July 2014
exactly. i wish I had gone back to the police but sadly it got out of hand. He got my new email and mobile but I ignored him and eventually he stopped. This whole period went for over 6 months so thats why it is still affecting me.

Toqual

10 July 2014
@Helen14 You definitely should've contacted Police. If you feel as this man is dangerous or threatening, you could apply for an APVO (Apprehended Personal Violence Order). Please try to log onto your old email, to attempt to obtain evidence. When was the last time he harassed you?

Helen14

5 July 2014
unfortunately I no longer have my old email address. He has not contacted me for 6 months. If he does I will definitely go to the police this time.